Sunday, November 9, 2008

Death in the Dollhouse


Waiting to watch the premiere of Dollhouse is full of drama, months before the show is about to air. We get the rumors of production issues and reshoots. Most recently the show was changing time slots to Friday night. It is know as the Fox death slot and it is where Firefly and other good programs died there. People are buzzing across the net that this show doomed before it ever crosses the airwaves. I want to take a half-full approach to these reported problems.

Three reasons to not write its obituary quite yet:

  1. I know of a certain little show that started out in the death slot and lasted 9 seasons. The X-Files began on Fridays and eventually moved out when it gained an audience. I still think that Friday’s are problematic, but it isn’t the end of the world.


  2. Technology has changed. The DVR revolution has changed the way people watch TV. It doesn’t matter if you are busy on Friday night, (my perceived reason why it is the death slot) because the TIVO is home, available to record. I don’t know how this plays with how programs are evaluated, but it may help with the timeslot issue. Secondly, the network has other things to look at in addition to the ratings. Viewings on the web and iTunes downloads are also in play. Something the crazy Whedon fans (like me) will jump all over.


  3. I have faith in Joss Whedon. He is the guy that made a mid season replacement, on a second string network based on a mediocre movie into a critical success and a crazy obsessive cult. I trust him, because of his track record of creative successes. Let’s just hope he has an opportunity to do this thing this time.

Until February 13, I will be tune out negative speculation.


Digg!

No comments: