Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dr. Horrible Act II & III

Here are a view thoughts, I don’t to linear recaps.

Act Two of Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog is just as good as the first part. Act III broke my heart, something that Joss has done before (Wesley, Tara, Fred, Wash and many others).

Dr. Horrible follows a classic three act structure; this is easy to see when the show is split up into these equal 13 minute parts. The first act sets up the plot and introduces the audience to the characters and the universe they inhabit. Act two is the confrontation. The third part is the resolution and the climax.

I think all three leads are perfect for the parts they play. Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day all have pleasant singing voices and their voices fit with the personas of the characters.

Harris as Dr. Horrible/Billy is sweet, jealous and ultimately tragic. At the end of Act Two he gives this wicked smirk that is totally perfect, when he decides killing Captain Hammer will solve all of his problems. He has a lot of pathos in this role and the audience (or at least I) rooted for. The character of Dr. Horrible is full of contractions. He wants Penny to know that he is “a true villain” although she appears to be more turned on by heroics. Dr. Horrible isn’t evil, just misunderstood. He doesn’t want to fight Johnny Snow, because “there are kids in that park.” He wants to get rid of pain (see lyrics to the freeze ray song) and injustice (putting power into different hands). Resorting to vengeance and violence is his downfall. If he would’ve waited Penny might have seen that Captain Hammer is “cheesy on the outside” and inside and would like Billy for Billy.

Captain Hammer is arrogant clueless bastard; he does good, but for all the wrong reasons (ego, fame, and groupies). Fillion plays the part so well that I forgot he was Captain Mal “tightpants” Reynolds on Firefly and for me that is big. I love that he plays the role with bravado, but I really enjoyed how he delivered the line, “the hammer is my penis.” He whispers it to Billy and that makes the whole thing more perverse.

I loved Felicia Day in this. Penny is relatable and cute. She is a perfect pair with Billy, but the Hammer is in the way. When I saw poor Penny waiting for Billy at the laundromat with an extra frozen yogurt, I knew we might not get a happy ending.

After Act II, I wondered what would happen in the finale. Will Dr. Horrible get into the Evil League of Evil? Will Penny dump the Hammer for the Horrible? Does Billy/Dr. Horrible have the balls/skills to take out Captain Hammer? The cute-little superhero musical turned in to a tragic opera.

My favorite part of Act III is seeing the Evil League of Evil. I loved the letter and phone call from Bad Horse and was happy I got to see him in the end. I always pictured him as a horse and not a man with a mustache. I loved the other members of the cabal, especially Fake Thomas Jefferson and Dead Bowie.

The free online is gone. Now download the whole thing on iTunes for only $3.99.




I hope people who were not Whedon fans before join the cult, because of Dr. Horrible.


Digg!

No comments: