Friday, January 15, 2010

Dachshund Rule! Private Practice Drools!

I have been losing interest in Grey's Anatomy for awhile now (see my March 19, 2009 blog post). I never got into Private Practice. I just watched the Grey's/Private Practice crossover because McSteamy looked really hot and naked in the commercials. His sexiness did not make up for how much I am over the Grey's/Private Practice universe.

Then the Taye Diggs character, Sam, says horrible things about my favorite dog breed and I'm offended. I shouldn't take stock of some stupid dialogue on some stupid show, but it was mean spirited, dumb, and untrue. Here is what was said:

"Dachshunds like to eat poop, right up off the street, other dogs poop. They're more concerned with their own needs than they are with making you happy, they're filthy and immoral. The owners of dachshunds are desperate, desperate for affection. But it's the wrong kind of affection, the kind that makes you always take care of them."

Now let's deconstruct it, using my little Dachshund Foxanne (Foxy) as an example.
  1. My Dachshund Foxanne has never eaten poop. Not her own, not some random other dog poop on the street. She is disgusted by poop; she never goes near her bed or eating area. If she does go on a potty pad in the house, she covers it up, she doesn't want to look at it--let alone eat it.

  2. My little Foxy is a people pleaser. She's a lover and looks for my approval. Sometimes she can be a little selfish and stubborn, but she's no worse than any other dog or person.

  3. Foxy is a clean dog--not filthy. See above, about the poop.

  4. How can a dog be immoral?

  5. Then the bit on the dog owner. I do love the affection, but I'm not desperate for it. Foxanne is affectionate and she loves the attention. I love to give it to her. Isn't that part of all dog/human relationships? But, why are dachshunds called out, since these are characteristics of all dogs.

  6. What dogs take care of humans? Some super alien breed that I'm not aware of? Since dogs need you to take care of them.


Dachshunds are great dogs. Don't believe everything you hear on TV.

No comments: